If your kids are like my kids, you spend much of your parenting energy being a motivational speaker. Why not try some of the following tactics?
- 10. Scatter gummy bears on the floor nearby.
- 9. Unpack your old ukulele and make up a ‘good helper’ song.
- 8. “If you don’t, Mommy and I will start smooching in front of you.”
- 7. Post embarrassing pictures of them on the family web site until the work is finished.
- 6. Tell them it involves paint … and a shovel.
- 5. Turn up the music WAY LOUD.
- 4. Promise not to rub their toys under your arm pits.
- 3. Remind them about the ancient proverb: “Thou that helpest will not incur the wrath of revelation, nor grow the spines of itchiness upon thy back.”
- 2. Perform your trusty tap dance routine.
- 1. Shameless bribery.
Question: What other methods do you use to encourage your children to help out around the house? It is very easy to resort to yelling or becoming frustrated, but with a little imagination, you can find other ways to motivate your kids.